Leave of Absence
Leave of Absence
A Leave of Absence (Leave) may be granted to a student who applies for a temporary break from studies for up to two years or four semesters.
A student on a processed Leave retains their admitted status; however, they do not have the rights and privileges of registered students as they are currently not attending classes. A student on a Leave may complete LMU course work for which the grade of Incomplete was submitted in the prior term and must comply with the policies, including all deadlines, concerning a grade of Incomplete.
Current students who are uncertain whether or not to take a Leave from the University are strongly urged to contact their advisor and/or Academic Dean's Office. Graduate students should contact their Program Director.
A student taking a Leave for treatment of a physical or mental health condition which impairs a student’s ability to function safely and successfully as a member of our community is highly encouraged to contact the Student Affairs Dean’s Office to talk to a Community of Care (COC) Case Manager to discuss the reasons for the Leave. Malone Student Center 301 - (310) 338-3756.
A student may take a Leave from the University on or before the last day to withdraw from a term. A Leave in the current term cannot be processed if this deadline has passed. In this case, you should complete your courses and you will receive final grades in each. Your Leave will be processed after final grades have been posted, and take effect in the subsequent term.
- Consult with the Dean’s Office, Financial Aid, Student Financial Services, and Student Housing (for residential students).
- Contact the Student Accounts Office to review your account and update any outstanding balances. Refunds are available based upon the University's for the term.
- If you are a resident student, consult the.
- Other considerations: turn in library books, athletic equipment, film and television equipment, and any other items which belong to LMU.
- An international student must consult with the Office of International Students and Scholars to ensure that visa requirements will be satisfied.
- The extension of University-sponsored student health insurance may be available during a leave of absence. Consult for more information.