Apostille Service

An Apostille is a certificate that authenticates the signature of a public official on a document for use in another country. An Apostille certifies:

  • the authenticity of the signature of the public official who signed the document,
  • the capacity in which that public official acted, and
  • when appropriate, the identity of the seal or stamp which the document bears, e.g. a notary public seal.

The Apostille does not validate the contents of the document.

Graduates of LMU may need their college graduation documents (transcripts or diplomas) notarized and certified with an apostille. If the requesting country is a member of The Hague Apostille Convention, your documents only require notarization and the Apostille from the Secretary of State.  If the country is not a member, then your documents may require further authentication through the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C., and document legalization through the Embassy / Consulate office.  

LMU does not keep copies of transcripts or diplomas. If you wish to a document notarized with an apostille, you need to order a transcript which has expedited delivery available, or a re-issue of your diploma also with available expedited delivery. If you cannot wait the three weeks and have physical access to your original diploma, you could use it for the apostille, and request a re-issued diploma to replace it.

The university does not offer notary and apostille services; moreover, the campus is closed for normal business because of COVID-19. Students can handle the apostille service directly with the CA Secretary of State, or utilize a private notary service. LMU has worked frequently with a particular, although not endorsed, service because of its proximity to the campus and the full range of services offered to students. QueenBee Notary is familiar with the LMU policies, and is able to help you through this process. You may choose any service you want to use. Ensure that the service you choose is able to handle your requirements, including the obtainment of the apostille at a California Secretary of State office.

Prior to sending a transcript or diploma, you should consult the service, so they may help you through their process. Documents should not be sent to the Office of the Registrar; rather, send them directly to the service provider at the address they give you.