Courses from a government-accredited and LMU-approved institution with a grade of C or higher are acceptable for transfer. LMU credit will be given only after the receipt of an official transcript from the school attended at the request of the student. A combined maximum of 60 semester hours may be transferred from community colleges. Only approved courses on this form are eligible for transfer. By signing the form, the student acknowledges and accepts these policies.
- Any undergraduate student regularly enrolled as a degree candidate who elects to take courses at a college or university other than Loyola Marymount University must obtain a Transfer Course Approval form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. After its evaluation, the TCA is scanned to the student who meets with the Associate Dean of the student’s College or School prior to enrollment. Courses taken without this approval may not be counted toward the degree. Entering transfer students generally receive credit after admission to LMU for courses from other colleges and universities.
- Approved undergraduate courses with a grade of C (2.0) or higher may be counted for LMU credit. Credit will not be accepted for courses which:
- Are taken at non-accredited colleges, trade schools, extension programs, correspondence programs or have been identified as being remedial or in other ways as being non-transferable.
- Are taken on a CR/NC or Pass/Fail basis where the CR or Pass grade is not equivalent to a grade of C or higher.
- Are identified as duplicates to course work already completed (excludes courses that may be taken multiple times for degree credit).
- Exceed the limitations of resident requirements.
- Exceed the 60 semester hour maximum allowed for undergraduate course work from community colleges, or exceed the 90 semester hour maximum allowed for undergraduate course work from four-year institutions.
- At the time of admission to a program, and if approved by the academic Department, Program Director, and/or Dean of the student’s college or school, a student may transfer a maximum of two applicable courses of approved graduate credit, six (6) semester units total, from an accredited institution for work completed no more than five years ago.
- A course credit may be transferred when the grade received was at least a “B” (3.0), and if taken on a CR/NC or Pass/Fail basis, where the CR or Pass grade is equivalent to a grade of B (3.0) or higher.
- If a course was used to satisfy a degree requirement, it usually cannot be used for transfer credit, with the exception of core or prerequisite requirements.
- A student must complete and submit a Transfer Course Approval (TCA) form to the Office of the Registrar to begin the process.
- Processing by the Office of the Registrar (OTR): The institution and courses will be evaluated for accreditation and LMU acceptance; the approval/disapproval to take those courses as transfer credit to LMU will be marked on the TCA and scanned to the student's Lion email.
- Processing by the Dean's Office: The student should contact the Dean's Office to obtain the Associate Dean's approval for the courses.
- With both approvals, the student may take the courses and expect to receive the credit on transfer.
- If the institution or the courses have been disapproved for credit, no further processing is possible. The option is to choose other courses to submit, or, if the institution is non-acceptable, choose another institution.
- No credit will be given to transfer work without an approved and filed TCA and a final transcript.
- Only approved courses submitted on the TCA are eligible for transfer.