Loyola Marymount University welcomes eligible veterans, reservists, spouses, and dependents to participate in the VA education benefits programs for which they are eligible. LMU is pleased to be a partner in the veteran education benefits process and also welcomes active-duty service members who are eligible for benefits through the Tuition Assistance programs. Active duty students who submit their active duty letter or student veterans using VA benefits, or those who submit their DD-214 showing honorable discharge, receive priority registration at LMU.
LMU certifies enrollments for undergraduate and graduate degree programs only. Students in non-degree programs for which no LMU degree is awarded, e.g., certificate-only or credential-only, cannot be certified by LMU to the VA.
Applying for VA Education Benefits
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines eligibility for benefits. Interested students should complete and submit the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) on the VA eBenefits site. To complete the online application, you will need LMU’s VA Code number: 3-1-5042-05. Upon review of your application, the VA will determine eligibility and issue issue a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If you are applying for the VA Vocational Rehabilitation program (Chapter 31), you must also apply through the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) division of the VA.
VA Education Program Benefits at LMU
- Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD/Chapter 30)
- Vocational Rehab and Employment Services (VRE/Chapter 31)
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33 and Yellow Ribbon Program)
- Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA/Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR/Chapter 1606)
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Tuition Assistance Program
- LMU also participates in the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership program so that eligible active duty service members are able to obtain Tuition Assistance (TA Decide) from their military branch as administered by the Department of Defense. LMU is authorized under the Department of Defense Memo of Understanding to participate in the following Air Force Tuition Assistance Programs:
- Air Force - Military TA; Reserve TA; Civilian Acquisition; CCAF Instructor TA; Civilian TA; PAQ TA
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will pay an eligible student education benefits for pursuit of an approved program of education or training. An approved program is a course of study or a program of training which the appropriate state approving agency has determined meets the legal requirements for payment of VA educational assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs prohibits the payment of VA education benefits for training in any course if the training is not part of the student’s approved program of education LMU is authorized to certify at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Non-degree and Extension/Continuing Education programs and courses are not eligible for benefits at LMU unless specifically required by a degree program.
The VA requires all veteran students to declare a major within their degree program by the end of their sophomore year.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.