Quick Steps to Initiate VA Benefits at LMU
- Pay the admissions commitment fee to the University.
- Submit a copy of the COE to email@example.com
- Register for Courses.
- Submit the VA Benefits Semester Enrollment form.
Once you have completed the VA application process and paid your commitment fee to the University, you will need to submit the following documentation to LMU's SCO:
- COE or VA-authorized replacement: This notice is sent to the beneficiary from the VA stating the time and percentage of educational benefits. Students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit may print this from their eBenefits account; ensure that the time and percentage of coverage is clearly indicated on the form.
- For Chapter 35 recipients: LMU must have a copy of your COE and the sponsor’s Social Security Number before we can process any benefits.
- The LMU School Certifying Officer (SCO) is Jeffrey Seeger in the Office of the Registrar. He may be reached at VA.Certification@lmu.edu (preferred) or at 310.338.2707. To schedule an appointment, please call Kathleen Pascale at 310.338.5363. Generally speaking, he may not be available for drop-in appointments.
Credit for Prior Education or Training
Students who receive Veterans educational assistance are required by law (38 U.S.C., 1775 and 1776) to provide official transcripts of prior education, training, and experience at the time of enrollment. An evaluation of prior education and training will be conducted to determine if any subjects completed at other schools or credits awarded as a result military service can be applied to the LMU degree program. The evaluation will include training and experience received while on active duty and for course(s) taken at an approved educational institution even if the training/course(s) were not paid for by DVA. LMU will review records and grant applicable credit toward meeting graduation requirements in the respective degree program. Request your Joint Services Transcript (JST). Air Force veterans request their Community College of the Air Force transcript.
Transfer of Benefits from Another School
First-time LMU students who have previously used their benefit(s) at another institution and would like to begin utilizing it here should submit one of the following forms electronically utilizing VONAPPor eBenefits:
- All GI Bill recipients, excluding Chapter 35 and Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training
- Students utilizing Chapter 35 or the Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program or Place of Training
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.