Graduation and Degree Conferral

Are you ready to graduate - to earn your LMU degree?

To start the graduation process, you must inform the University of your intent to graduate in a specific term by submitting an online application for degree. Apply for the term in which you will complete all requirements of your degree program. You are strongly encouraged to file your graduation application by the deadlines below.

Degree Conferral DateFiling Dates
August 4, 2023 March 30, 2023 - for inclusion in the commencement program
August 4, 2023 - last day to file application for August 2023 degree
December 15, 2023 March 30, 2023 - for inclusion in the commencement program
December 15, 2023 - last day to file application for December 2023 degree
May 3, 2024 November 13, 2023 - for advising purposes
January 12, 2024 - for academic honors and awards consideration
March 26, 2024 - for inclusion in the commencement program
May 3, 2024 - last day to file application for May 2024 degree

Application for Degree

Although a student may have completed all degree program requirements, graduation is not automatic. Students who are ready to graduate must submit an application for degree in PROWL to identify the semester in which they expect to complete their degree and graduation requirements. Undergraduate students must have 85 completed credits to apply for degree conferral. Graduate Program completed credits needed to apply vary by program.

Participation in Commencement

You are eligible to participate in Commencement 2024 if you have applied for your degree and meet one of the following criteria:

  • Already awarded a degree in August or December 2023
  • Bachelor’s or Master's candidates with intent to graduate in May 2024
  • Bachelor's candidates with no more than 30 semester hours remaining who plan to complete all degree requirements by the August or December 2024 semester without a unit overload in any of the remaining terms
  • Master’s candidates with no more than six semester hours to complete by August or December 2024
  • Doctoral candidates with approval from the Doctoral Program

Commencement Ceremonies

For information on the commencement ceremonies, go to the Commencement website.

  • See the video instruction on Submitting Degree Application.

    Consider these items before submitting your application to graduate.

    Your degree audit (DegreeWorks) MUST show all requirements as MET or In Progress after you register for your final semester. If you do not see a green checkmark or a tilde [~] in the checkbox next to a degree requirement when you apply, you will not graduate. It is your sole responsibility as a student to ensure your audit shows all requirements met before you will graduate.

    • Questions about your degree audit or requirements? See your faculty advisor/program director.
    • Unmet requirements which need an adjustment? Meet with your faculty advisor/program director to submit a degree adjustment.
    • Do you see something you think should already be corrected? Contact your college's in the Office of the Registrar.

    Apply to graduate for the term in which all degree requirements will be met. If you have a minor or second major, you must complete these before or in the same term as your primary major.

    Consult with your academic advisor or Associate Dean’s Office to address any outstanding requirements before registering for the graduation term and the ARC for your college/school in the Office of the Registrar.

    Courses or requirements not met should alert you that you may not qualify to graduate. It is your responsibility to read, understand, comply with the undergraduate and graduate degree requirements printed in the LMU Bulletin, and to take action to address all outstanding issues before the degree-granting date. No one else may do this for you.

    You may submit an Application for Degree if your audit shows unmet requirements. In cases where the audit report is not met, consider the following:

    • Are you able to register for your remaining courses in your final term at LMU?
    • Are you substituting one course for another to fulfill a requirement?
    • Is the requirement to be fulfilled by transfer work from another school?
    • Are there any grades of Incomplete on your record?
      • You may NOT graduate with an Incomplete grade.
    • Do you have a second major and/or any minor which is not complete?

     The application for degree is in PROWL.


  • The Office of the Registrar (OTR) reviews each student's degree audit to ensure completion of degree requirements. When successfully met, the OTR will post the degree to your transcript. The degree on your transcript is the only official acknowledgement that you have earned your degree. 

  • When your application has been processed, you will see a PN (Pending) or MR (Missing Requirements) code in PROWL: Student Services > Student Records > View Degree Information.

    When the Office of the Registrar processes your application, it checks the degree audit to ascertain whether all requirements are:

    • MET - you will receive a PN code (Pending) in PROWL (presuming successful completion of In-Progress courses)
      • If you receive a PN code, it will remain PN until the final evaluation of your audit after final grades have been processed for the completion semester. The code remains PN even if you make changes to your record which causes the audit to now show missing requirements.
    • UNMET - you will receive an MR code (Missing Requirements) in PROWL.
      • If you receive an MR code, it will remain MR until you address the unmet requirements with your advisor and Associate Dean's Office. If you have successfully met the requirements, the Associate Dean's Office will inform the Registrar's Office to update the code to PN. If you do not address or are unable to complete the unmet requirements prior to the degree date, your code will remain MR until the final evaluation of your audit after final grades for the completion semester have been posted.

    The PN or MR code remains on your record until final grades have been processed. 

    PROWL: (Student Services > Student Records > View Degree Information).

  • How can I tell if my degree has been posted to my transcript?

    PROWL's "View Degree Status" will show the current status of your degree program. When the final review of your degree has been completed, the status of your program will be Awarded (AW) or Canceled (CN). If you see Awarded (AW), you may order transcripts that will show the degree on them. If you see Canceled (CN), you should consult your associate dean's office for the next steps. If you do not see AW, do not order transcripts until you do. Any other status means that the degree has not/will not be posted to your transcript.

    If you check your status in PROWL and you see MR, you should take action to address the missing requirements. Review your audit and look for the unmet requirements. Understand what they mean and contact your associate dean's office for help. Need to drop a minor or second major that is unmet? Submit a change of program form through the OTR portal.

    The Office of the Registrar cannot offer academic advice or recommend your next actions other than to speak with your Associate Dean's Office.

  • Awarding of Degree

    After the final review of your degree audit takes place, your degree will be awarded (AW) if all requirements for the degree are met. Your degree will be canceled if you have not completed all degree requirements. In this case, you must submit a new application for degree for the term in which all requirements show as met. If you have questions concerning the degree cancelation, please consult your Associate Dean's Office.

    LMU has three degree dates throughout the year. The award dates are the dates of final exams. Each degree audit is reconfirmed by personnel in the Office of the Registrar and your Dean's Office, and the posting of your degree will occur in the weeks following the degree date when the process is complete. 

  • If your degree was canceled (CN), you should review your degree audit and consult with your advisor or associate dean's office, or graduate program director. 

    If your degree was canceled, you must submit another application for degree in the term in which you will finish all degree requirements.

  • See information here.