Can I use my VA educational benefits at LMU?

Loyola Marymount University is an accredited university. VA Educational benefits can be used to pursue all LMU’s currently established degree programs.

How do I become eligible for VA benefits?

Eligibility for education benefits is determined solely by the VA. Visit the GI Bill website for answers to most questions regarding benefits. You can also call the VA Education Hotline/Call Center at 1(888) GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to inquire about education benefits.

How long does it take to receive VA benefits?

First-time recipients should receive their benefits in approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks. Continuing students should receive their benefits in approximately three (3) weeks.

How do I obtain a VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

You will need to fill out what is called the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).  The is the VA's general application for any education and training benefits. You may locate this document through either the VA's eBenefits site or through the GI Bill® website following the Apply for Benefits links.

I have question/concerns about specific payments made to me by the VA. Whom should I contact?

If you are receiving CH 1606, CH 33, CH 30 or CH 35 benefits, please contact the VA directly through their Education Benefits hotline for assistance: 1-888-442-4551. If you are receiving CH 31 benefits, please contact your VR&E counselor directly for payment questions or concerns.

How can I find out how many months of education benefits I have remaining?

You can view this information if you have an eBenefits account. You can also call the VA Education Benefits hotline at 1-888-442-4551 to receive an update on the status of your remaining eligibility.

How much will my payment be for Veterans Benefits? When will I get paid? What Benefits am I eligible for?

The LMU certifying officials do not have this information. Instead, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs directly at 1-888-442-4551 or go to the GI Bill® website.

What VA benefits are available to dependents of veterans?

Dependents and spouses of veterans may also be eligible for the GI Bill; see the GI Bill website for eligibility information. You can also call the VA Education Hotline/Call Center at 1(888) GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) for eligibility information.

If I am using the Post 9-11 GI Bill®, will I need to pay my bill out of pocket if the school has yet to receive my tuition and fee payment from the VA by the tuition due date?

No, LMU will incorporate the anticipated amount of your VA Educational Benefits into your semester bill. You are only responsible for paying the portion of your bill not covered by your benefits or other types of financial aid by the tuition due date. If you are receiving Post 9-11 GI Bill® benefits you will not be assessed any financial penalties while the school waits to receive your anticipated tuition and fee payment from the VA.

When will I be paid my monthly stipend from the VA?

The VA typically pays on the first of every month for the previous month. For example, on October 1st you’ll get a check for the month of September. Payments are prorated, meaning checks will be less during months we aren’t in school from beginning to end (August, December, January and May).

How many credits do I need to take each semester to be eligible for the full Basic Housing Allowance (BAH) under the Post 9-11 GI Bill®? 

Undergraduates need to enroll in at least 12 credits; graduates in 6.

Whom do I contact for veterans benefits assistance and information at LMU?

The LMU School Certifying Officer (SCO) is Jeffrey Seeger in the Office of the Registrar. He may be reached at 

How do I certify my student enrollment at LMU?

Student enrollment must be certified by the Registrar's Veterans Affairs Certification Coordinator. Download and submit the VA Semester Benefits Entitlement‌ form and a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) award letter - if you are a new student or the COE has changed - to the LMU certifying official.

Do I have to do anything to receive my VA Educational Benefits each semester? 

Yes. You must submit the VA Benefits Semester Enrollment form. The submission of this form allows the university to certify your enrollments to the VA.

What Is Considered Full-Time Coursework During Summer Sessions for GI Bill Purposes?

Generally speaking, much like the fall and spring semesters. 12 units for undergraduates and six for graduates. 

How do I transfer my benefits to LMU?

First-time LMU students who have previously used their benefit(s) at another institution and would like to begin utilizing it here should submit one of the following forms electronically utilizing eBenefits:

All GI Bill (Chapter 33) recipients: VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training

Chapter 35, 1606, or the Fry Scholarship recipients: VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program or Place of Training

What do I do if I am also eligible to receive Tuition Assistance?

Please contact the SCO at

What do I do if I am called to Active Duty?

Please contact the SCO at

Don't see what you are looking for?


Are there other Veteran Programs on campus?

Yes. Although not able to certify to the VA, the campus' Veteran Programs provides resources and services to meet the unique needs of our student veterans.