Students are held responsible for both LMU and VA policies

  • Degree

    The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will pay an eligible student education benefits for pursuit of an approved program of education or training. An approved program is a course of study or a program of training which the appropriate state approving agency has determined meets the legal requirements for payment of VA educational assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs prohibits the payment of VA education benefits for training in any course if the training is not part of the student’s approved program of education.

    The VA requires all veteran students to declare a major by the end of their sophomore year. VA students must be classified as degree-seeking students no later than their second semester of enrollment. Degree-seeking means that a student is officially pursuing a degree and is classified by the school as a matriculated student. Selecting a major does not necessarily define the student as degree-seeking.


    Undergraduate students are allowed to change majors. Follow the directions on the Change of Program form in the Student Sevices Portal. Each time a student changes a major field of study, the student must provide the SCO with the form for the chapters below and a current degree audit and study plan on how and when the courses will be completed. The SCO is required to report this change of program to the VA with a copy of the new study plan.

    Graduate students are admitted to a major in a particular degree program and as such, may not change majors. Graduate students must apply through admissions and be accepted into the new program. If a student changes degree programs, you must notify the SCO of the cessation of one and the beginning of another and submit a form for the chapters below.

    • Chapters 30, 32, or 1606: complete VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
    • Chapter 31: contact the assigned Vocational Rehabilitation counselor or case manager to obtain permission to change majors.
    • Chapter 35: complete VA Form 22-5495, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Survivors’ and Dependents Education Assistance.


    If your major requires a minor as part of the program, the VA will pay for the minor. If not required, you may earn a minor if your degree program has sufficient elective credits. The VA will not pay for units or courses taken beyond those required for the degree and major program. 


    A concentration is a required or optional series of courses within a major. Undergraduate and graduate students may change concentrations within their major without prior notice to the SCO. Notice must be given to the SCO when the change has been approved and the concentration changed on your student record. 


  • May I retake a class to improve my grades?

    • If you received a passing grade in the course whether at LMU or any previous institution, the VA will not pay for you to take the course again.

    What if I do not earn the passing grade for the course?

    • If the course has a minimum grade requirement for passing, you must earn that grade. If you fail to do so, you may retake it until you do and the VA will pay for the course.

    What if I withdraw from a class?

    • If you withdrew from the course (W grade), the W is reported to the VA and it will not pay for you to take the course again.

    What if I receive an F?

    Scenario 1 - the earned grade of F: You completed the course but failed to understand the material and submitted work which did not allow you to pass the course. You will receive an earned grade of F due to the poor quality of work. Under these conditions, the VA will pay for you to take the course again.

    Scenario 2 - the unearned grade of F: If you stop attending a class before the end of the semester, the professor will assign a grade of F and note the last date of attendance. This can be determined by the last time homework was received, last test, etc. If this date is earlier than the end of the semester, the unearned grade of F is treated like a grade of W and is reported to the VA. The VA will not pay for you to take the course again.

    What if I audit a class?

    • The VA will not pay for a grade of audit and you may incur a debt to the VA for the cost of the tuition and fees.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress

    All students receiving VA education benefits are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to published standards established and enforced by the University. LMU's progress to degree standards have been approved by the State Approving Agency (SAA) and accepted by the VA.

    U.S. Code, Title 38, Sections 1674 and 1724, requires that education assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward completion of her or his training objective. Accordingly, LMU will discontinue certification of enrollment and will inform the VA of a termination (due to unsatisfactory academic progress) for undergraduate students who remain on academic probation for two consecutive semesters and are subject to disqualification, and for graduate students who are subject to disqualification. This may result in the student being over paid. Students have a right to appeal terminations. The VA determines whether or not payment will be terminated and the conditions for reinstatement.

    Academic Standing: Probation and Disqualification

    The VA uses the same progress standards listed in the LMU catalog. If low grades lead to academic probation or eventual disqualification from the University, the probation and disqualification status are reported to the VA.

    A disqualification of a student from the University for other than academic reasons is also reported to the VA.

  • All Veteran Benefit payments are made at the discretion of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). LMU will only confer expected payments and apply funds received from the VA to a recipient’s student account. If the VA determines that a student is not eligible for expected funds, it is the student’s responsibility to repay the overpayment of funds to the VA and LMU.

  • VA benefits may be used to pay tuition for LMU-sponsored Study Abroad and faculty-led programs off-campus where students receive LMU grades and degree credit. Download the Post 9/11 Study Abroad Fact Sheet.